Tuesday, September 8, 2009

TOP OF THE WORLD...

Okay, not really but close enough for me. I hiked to Kings Peak (hightest peak in Utah) last weeked with my family and some good family friends. I wouldn't say it was the funnest thing I've ever done but I loved every minute of it. We did this trip when I was in eighth grade too but I got sick the morning we hiked the peak so missed out last time. I had a major headache the night before we were heading up the peak so I was pretty nervous I wouldn't be able to go- but no worries everything turned out fine. :)
I had quite an adventure on the hike- I took my own route (my Dad likes to say I got lost) but I could see the peak the whole time so I was not lost. I had to boulder up the East side of the peak which was one of the more scary things I've done. I was mostly worried that a huge boulder would kill me and no one would have any idea where I was, and I'd never be found. But after a little prayer and a little hope somehow my Dad heard me yelling and sat at the top of the peak waiting for me. It was truly a life changing experience. I'm glad I went even without Ryan (who had to stay home and go to drill) Sorry sweet heart. I thought of you on our 6th Anniversary as I was sitting at the top of the peak.



Do I look cold? Because it was freezing at the top.



As you look at this picture keep in mind we are on a backpack trip and there is no way to get clean other than the baby wet wipes I stole from my kids on the way out the door.
Picture of me and my Dad at the top of the peak. The man I know I can always count on to hear my cries. Thanks for waiting at the top of the mountain for me. Ilove you

You know that creepy feeling you get in the woods like there has to be something out there... it's because there usually is. As we were hiking back to the parking lot on the last day my Dad needed to go to the bathroom. He walked probably fifty feet off the trail and there was this moose just staring at him. I took this picture and could have gotten a lot closer becasue he was just staring us down. But I chickened out and just went back to the trail. I knew he was still standing there when I got to the trail but I couldn't see him. I really wonder what is out there when you get those goose bumps knowing something is watching you. :)




4 comments:

Nutty Nielsen's said...

That is so great Heather! WAY TO GO

Penny said...

Awesome pics! Glad you had fun!

Emily said...

Yeah, I tried the bouldering thing when we went to kings peak a few years ago. A horrible idea! Next time I go we're staying on the trail. It's definitely more of a shortcut than the shortcut. That sounds like you had fun though. Someday I'll get out hiking again. Love the pictures! You guys are cute!

Laurie Bingham said...

I remember going on that 1st trip! We saw a moose on our way down as well. Looks like guys had fun!