So this trip took place a couple of months ago; actually at the beginning of the summer. But we barely were able to get them on the computer since we used a disposable camera. Anyway, I had to post this trip because I think it really changed our family forever. We were hiking up past Trial Lake which shouldn't have been a big deal but maybe we shouldn't have been doing it with Raiyah. One of our favorite things to do is hike in the snow. So when all the roads were closed to cars, and you could tell no one had hiked where we were going we were excited. It was the most beautiful day. To make a long story short we had to cross a huge river but couldn't find a suitable place to cross. We found a "bridge" that really did seem safe. I crossed and turned to wait for Ryan to cross with Raiyah on his back. Next was one of the most horrible moments of my life. As Ryan stepped to the middle of the bridge the entire thing gave out from underneath him. They both crashed straight into the river. All I could think of was my tiny angel drowning or freezing to death in the river and we were several miles away from anywhere. As I raced down the river about to jump in, some how Ryan was able to pull both he and Raiyah out of the water after being submerged and almost bogged down by the bridge that had just fell onto them from above. There were no dry clothes for either of them so I put my wind jacket around Raiyah and prayed for the best. We hiked back down the mountain as fast as possible. I know our little family was being watched over that day. The outcome could have and probably should have been so much worse. I still have nightmares of seeing them crash into the river and still count my blessings every day that my family is safe by my side, and that my husband had the skill and strength to get out of the river. It was one moment in my life I will not forget and reminds me that we need to watch over and make sure our children know how much we love them every moment.Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Trip that changed our family
So this trip took place a couple of months ago; actually at the beginning of the summer. But we barely were able to get them on the computer since we used a disposable camera. Anyway, I had to post this trip because I think it really changed our family forever. We were hiking up past Trial Lake which shouldn't have been a big deal but maybe we shouldn't have been doing it with Raiyah. One of our favorite things to do is hike in the snow. So when all the roads were closed to cars, and you could tell no one had hiked where we were going we were excited. It was the most beautiful day. To make a long story short we had to cross a huge river but couldn't find a suitable place to cross. We found a "bridge" that really did seem safe. I crossed and turned to wait for Ryan to cross with Raiyah on his back. Next was one of the most horrible moments of my life. As Ryan stepped to the middle of the bridge the entire thing gave out from underneath him. They both crashed straight into the river. All I could think of was my tiny angel drowning or freezing to death in the river and we were several miles away from anywhere. As I raced down the river about to jump in, some how Ryan was able to pull both he and Raiyah out of the water after being submerged and almost bogged down by the bridge that had just fell onto them from above. There were no dry clothes for either of them so I put my wind jacket around Raiyah and prayed for the best. We hiked back down the mountain as fast as possible. I know our little family was being watched over that day. The outcome could have and probably should have been so much worse. I still have nightmares of seeing them crash into the river and still count my blessings every day that my family is safe by my side, and that my husband had the skill and strength to get out of the river. It was one moment in my life I will not forget and reminds me that we need to watch over and make sure our children know how much we love them every moment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










11 comments:
I still can't believe that happened!! How scary. I am so grateful that you guys were being watched over that day.
Wow, thanks a lot, Ryan, for not telling me. We only hang out every single night. Make sure you tell me if/when you guys decide to move...before it hits the blog 2 months later.
Yikes! That is scary. I'm glad you guys are okay.
I still can't believe that story...sooo scary! I'm so glad little Raiyah was okay, you are right, it could have been so much worse! It was an absolutely beautiful day, though.
SCARY!! I think I would have had a heart attack. You never think something like that would happen to you. They are lucky they were as safe as they were. Some one was watching over your family.
Raiyah is a very special little girl and she has tons to do yet (and of course you and Ryan are ok). We love her lots.
Raiyah: don't forget to 'bug' mommy tons :)
Awhh I'm sure you are counting your many blessings. What a frightening thing to see! SO glad you all are okay! It sure makes you realize how precious life is doesn't it!? She is such a doll! What a character..:) She always cracks me up!
I'm glad they both were ok!
Heather, that's crazy! Aren't we glad for skilled husbands and angels that watch over us. I love you and am glad you were all safe!
Wow, what a story and one I'm sure you guys will never forget. So glad to hear that you were all okay! Oh, and Congrats on the baby boy...I was so excited to hear the news!
So glad you are okay!
Post a Comment