The week after we arrived in Virginia the Great Dismal Swamp caught on fire. It smoldered for weeks buring a lot of land. There were days I didn't leave the house the smoke was so bad, and we live about and hour and a half away. We had heard it was a place we needed to go to. So in Novemeber when the fire was over, and trails were open again we decided we better head over there. We rode our bikes four miles in on a road dug out by slaves Washington had put to work. For what reason there needed to be a road dug for carriages to drive to the dismal swamp is beyond me. The ride was straight and flat the whole way. If we would have not had eachother to talk with it would have been very dreary, and a little eerie to ride. Would I recommend people go see it, yes. But I have no idea why. It was a very strange place to see. The swamp really is dismal, and very strange. Maybe I will think of some way to describe it one day but as for now I will just say the trees were beautiful for the fall weather, but all else was very dismal indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment